DSA - Find Your Way

DSA2 Entitlement Letter

Your funding body will look at the evidence in the Study Needs Assessment report and the recommendations that have been made. They will send a DSA2 letter stating:

  • The funding that has been approved
  • The details of the suppliers to contact to order your equipment
  • The contact details of assistive technology training provider
  • The number of hours of training agreed
  • The contact details of non-medical helpers
  • The number of hours support agreed
  • Other disability-related costs of studying

It is important to contact the assistive technology and non-medical helper providers as soon as possible to ensure your support is put in place. Ensuring your University Disability or Dyslexia Adviser has a copy of the DSA2 letter will enable the Adviser to support you to set up your non-medical helper support.

Equipment & Software

If equipment or software has been agreed on your DSA2 Entitlement letter, your supplier will require you to forward a copy of the letter. Your DSA2 letter will provide a telephone number for the supplier. All suppliers will also have a website where you will find an order form to attach the letter to, or an email address to forward it to. Remember to provide details of your address, telephone number and email address when contacting the supplier so they can contact you to discuss your DSA equipment.

Assistive Technology Training

Your entitlement letter will also state the recommended assistive technology training company. This training is really important as you will learn strategies that can be integrated with the assistive technology you have been given, in order to help you become an independent learner.

This should not be mistaken for basic IT training. Receiving great quality training that integrates the assistive technology learning strategies that are based around your learning style, can really be life-changing to the way that you learn!

Non Medical Helpers

Your entitlement letter will also state the recommended non-medical helpers such as a note-taker, library assistant, specialist mentor or specialist study support tutor. The letter will state the recommended provider and the number of hours of support you are entitled to. If your university is the recommended provider your disability or dyslexia adviser will help you to arrange and set this up. If your university is not the provider use the contact details of the provider on your entitlement letter to arrange setting up your non-medical helper support.